Thompson Scholarship Programs
Robert and Ellen Thompson created the Thompson Working Families Scholarship program to help high-achieving Bowling Green State University students overcome barriers to higher education and make a difference in their communities. Recipients of this life-changing scholarship must meet financial need requirements, have achieved academically, and be committed to continuing the Thompson's incredible legacy of service.
Thompson Scholarship Programs provides holistic support for each recipient and serves as a springboard for growth by creating opportunities for students to connect, engage, and serve from the time they arrive at BGSU through graduation.
Thompson Scholarship Programs Goals
- Connect one-on-one with each Thompson Family Scholar, providing academic, personal, and professional guidance and support
- Facilitate connection among scholars to create a positive and encouraging community focused on service and growth
- Engage scholars through social interaction and provide opportunities for personal and professional development in preparation for graduation and beyond
- Serve BGSU, the City of Bowling Green, and surrounding communities through collaborative service projects connected to students’ values, interests, and goals
- Cultivate a spirit of giving back among scholars to continue the legacy set by Mr. and Mrs. Thompson
Your Gift Can Help in 2 Ways:
- Matching Scholarship Dollars - choose to come alongside Mr. and Mrs. Thompson in directly supporting access to higher education for deserving BGSU students by giving to the Thompson Working Families Scholarship Fund. Each recipient is awarded an $11,000 scholarship, with $5,500 coming from the Thompsons and $5,500 matched by BGSU and generous donors like you! This ends up being a $44,000 value for our traditional incoming scholars, and $33,000 for our sophomore achiever recipients. This is life-changing for so many of our scholars!
- Programming Funds - choose to support the work of Thompson Scholarship Programs by giving to our Thompson Scholarship Program Fund. Our desire is to create an environment where students know they belong and are supported for success during their time at BGSU and beyond. Led by our team and current scholars, our early move-in Summer Link Program helps our incoming first-years transition to college and positions them for success! Our TFS Student Leadership Team hosts various events throughout the year focused on connection, growth, and service. Service is a key component of our scholarship program so your gift could also support our efforts as we give back to the community.